Standby database: Skipping logs?

From: Vikas Agnihotri <onlyforposting_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Jul 2001 07:46:31 -0700

Oracle 8.1.7/Solaris 2.7

We were using a home-grown method to manually 'rcp' archivelogs to a remote site and apply them 'recover database using backup controlfile'. Works fine, but is hell to fix when it breaks. I just wanted to modernize this stuff and so I decided to go in for Oracle's standby database feature.

Tested it on a couple of dev/QA databases, and it worked fine.

Set it all up in parallel with our own method and was monitoring it during times of heavy db activity.

To my horror, I saw that Oracle was skipping redologs. i.e. the standby machine was just not getting some logs.

Even when I set the log_archive_dest_2='SERVICE=sby MANDATORY REOPEN=5', it was still skipping.

I had 2 Unix windows open. The primary's alert.log said 'Completed archiving log sequence #1234', but the standby's standby_archive_dest did not have the file. There were ABSOLUTELY no errors on either the primary or standby alert log. In other words, Oracle was silently skipping archivelogs!

This is totally unacceptable.

Anyone else experienced this? Couldnt find anything on Metalink.

I would hate to think that Oracle's much touted standby database feature is a bunch of hooey when faced with real-life situations.

For now, I am back to my old-fashioned (but works!), rcp/apply method.

Thanks... Received on Mon Jul 02 2001 - 09:46:31 CDT