Re: Urgently need help on: "Cannot Open Oracle DB when startup"

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 20:50:51 +1000

And whilst he's at it, he should try jumping off the nearest cliff....

...well, it's about a sensible suggestion as yours is!

Recovery is a big subject, and until you know what exactly is wrong, dabbling around with one or other recovery technique is just plain stupid -the quickest way of digging yourself into an ever-deepening hole I know of. The trace script you propose has a use for recreating controlfiles, and for cloning databases, and for not a lot else.

Neither of those situations is appropriate here.

I can't guarantee what the problem is either, from what was originally posted. But it looks to me as though the current redo log is corrupted, and hence Instance Recovery is not succeeding.

So, my first thought is: does this guy have his redo logs mirrored within Oracle, and if not why not? Perhaps this experience will serve to underline the importance of three-way multiplexing of redo logs.

My second thought is that if it really is the current redo log that is causing the problem, you are into classic incomplete recovery territory, whereby *all* datafiles need to be restored from the last successful backup, mount the database, then issue the 'recover database until cancel' command. Apply the redo logs when prompted. When it suggests to apply Log 9301, type the word "cancel". Then try 'alter database open resetlogs'. You need a complete closed backup after that succeeds, and you'd be daft to try it without backing the whole database up *before* attempting recovery, too, just in case.

Regards