Re: How do you un-analyze tables?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:21:01 +0100

  1. analyse <object> delete statistics;
  2. There are many many reasons why CBO might make the wrong decisions. these include , but are not limited to
    1. too small or unrepresentative a sample,
    2. skewed data distributions,
    3. poorly chosen init.ora parameters (for example db_multi_block_read_count)
    4. poor indexing of the data.

You should also be aware that the rules used for RULE optimisation do not take any account of many of the nice new features introduced in Oracle 8 & 8i. for example I don't believe you'll ever get Oracle to use a materialized view under RULE.

HTH

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA