Re: Remote Database Link

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:04:52 -0500

The names.default_domain controls whether you need a 'fully qualified' alias name in your connect string:

For Instance, given mydb.world as a tnsnames.ora entry: If names.default_domain is not set or is set to anything other than 'world' then to connect you would need connect me/mypassword_at_mydb.world

If, however, names.default_domain IS set to 'world' then the connect command would be connect me/mypassword_at_mydb

( on the issue of global_names = true, if the remote database has this set to true, then the dba link name MUST match the global database name of the remote database...If it is set, the error message you get will provide you with the name you need to use:
Something like dba link rlink connect to database oraremote.world If you get this, create a link called oraremote.world-  global_names = false , then the dba link can be any name you like..but remember, it is the REMOTE database's init<sid>.ora setting that is controlling..)

hth

"Mr. Lynn Moorhead" <lynncind_at_swbell.net> wrote:

>Thanks Paul,
>
>The SQLNET.ora Authentication_Services setting may be the issue. I won't
>have an opportunity to check before this evening, but it will be the FIRST
>thing that I look at. Yes, I am authenticating a a member of ORA_DBA, AND I
>had been connecting as sysdba. However, I had tried it as both a normal
>user and sysdba.
>
>I also just realized that their is also a DEFAULT_DOMAIN setting in the
>SQLNET.ora file that MAY not be set correctly either. It should be, but I
>don't recall if the machine was originally configured while in the same
>Domain. I don't know what effect if any that this might have?
>
>Thanks again for the input, and I'll give this a "shot" this evening.
>
>Lynn :-)
>
>"Paul Drake" <paled_at_home.com> wrote in message
>> "Mr. Lynn Moorhead" wrote:
>> >
>> > I get a message like "linkname attaches to linkname", which is obviously
>> > where I want it attached. However, it doesn't actually appear to be
>> > functioning. I have successfully created a "Remote Database Link" from
 the
>> > Windows 2000 machine to the Windows NT 4.0 machine (actually from two
>> > different Win2k machines to the NT 4.0 machine), but I cannot seem to
 create
>> > it in the opposite direction. It has been suggested to me by a friend
 that
>> > it could be a privileges issue or some sort of Authentication difference
>> > between 2000 and NT 4.0. I've "dotted all the I's and crossed all the
 T's"
>> > so to speak, but I must have missed some ADDITIONAL requirement when
 trying
>> > to go from an older OS to a newer one. It seemed like such a simple
>> > question, but I haven't found anyone who has done it or had a need to do
 it
>> > in this manner.
>> >
>> > I'm trying to get approval to upgrade this "questionable" machine to
 Win2K