Re: latch contention

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:57:17 +0100

Yes - 24 hours lost in 3 days on 1 CPU
is an issue. (24 hours over 8 CPUs in
a month would not be)

X$BH is visible only to the SYS user.

2 latches out of 1024 responsible for a
large fraction of the sleeps sounds
promising.

One point I haven't made - cache buffers chains latching is inevitable, it means you are using the database. However, if you
are making the database do more logical
I/O than is necessary you will start to see contention on this latch. Be aware that a side-effect of trying to eliminate physical I/O and pushing up the 'buffer hit ratio', by using unsuitable indexes and hints can
result in the problem you are seeing.

When you query X$BH, include the TCH
column in the select, this is the touch count, and could give you a clue as to which block is the busiest block on the latch.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html