Re: Are these too harsh ?

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:38:24 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard J. Rogers [mailto:howardjr_at_www.com] Posted At: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 11:13 AM Posted To: server
Conversation: Are these too harsh ?
Subject: Re: Are these too harsh ?

<SNIP>
>> In 8i, they introduced the concept of opening the standby database is
 read
>> only mode. Having done your reads, you can resume recovering the
 standby.
>> New feature in 8i.

More reading to do for me then. I wasn't aware of that fact. No job for me from Connor then !

<SNIP>
>> it was an absolutely HUGE table, with a gazillion rows, but I did a
 massive
>> DELETE from HUGE, which piece of DDL unfortunately leaves the high
 watermark
>> stranded somewhere at the end of the datafile -and count(*) needs to
 do a
>> full tablescan, and doesn't finish until it hits the high watermark.

Yeah, forgot about that bit. I did know it as well, I'd only just finished explaining about HWM to a developer.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards, Norman.

Norman Dunbar		EMail:	NDunbar_at_LynxFinancialSystems.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	Fax:	0113 201 7265
			URL:	http://www.LynxFinancialSystems.com