Re: Rebuild an Oracle database after OS crash .

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:50:11 GMT

Dhananjay Sen wrote:

> Hi
>
> At one of my client sites , the the system disk (drive C ) of NT
> server hosting the Oracle database has failed . Oracle Server , DB
> files , control files are available in other two disks ( Drives D and
> E ) . There was no backup available for the Database and OS .
>
> OS has been reinstalled in a new system disk ( Drive C) . The new NT
> registry does not have any entry for Oracle . Oracle server and
> database did not start . Do we need to reinstall Oracle Server and
> recreate database ? Can we reuse old datafiles , control files , redo
> log files ? We have all datafiles , redo log files intact .
>
> Any help will be hightly appreciated .
>
> Dhananjay Sen

please back up the files that you have before attempting anything further.
open an iTar with Oracle Worldwide Support.

if you simply create a new database REUSEing your existing datafiles, you will have lots of free space in all of the tablespaces. Like 100% - minus the header block. In other words, you will have to import the schemas from an export file. you don't want to have to do that unless absolutlely necessary, as you didn't mention having an export of the database.

as you have the control files and data files, you should be in good shape - provided that you have an init%ORACLE_SID%.ora file.

good luck,

Paul Received on Wed Jun 27 2001 - 22:50:11 CDT