Re: Remote Database Link

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 04:34:13 GMT

"Mr. Lynn Moorhead" wrote:

> I get a message like "linkname attaches to linkname", which is obviously
> where I want it attached. However, it doesn't actually appear to be
> functioning. I have successfully created a "Remote Database Link" from the
> Windows 2000 machine to the Windows NT 4.0 machine (actually from two
> different Win2k machines to the NT 4.0 machine), but I cannot seem to create
> it in the opposite direction. It has been suggested to me by a friend that
> it could be a privileges issue or some sort of Authentication difference
> between 2000 and NT 4.0. I've "dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's"
> so to speak, but I must have missed some ADDITIONAL requirement when trying
> to go from an older OS to a newer one. It seemed like such a simple
> question, but I haven't found anyone who has done it or had a need to do it
> in this manner.
>
> I'm trying to get approval to upgrade this "questionable" machine to Win2K
> which will make this all irrelevant, but I'm still interested in the answer
> in case I encounter this again in the future. ANY HELP would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Lynn :-)

init.ora:
global_names = true

sqlnet.ora:
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) -- are you authenticating as a member of ORA_DBA group?
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME, ONAMES) -- might you have other naming methods in use?

just 3 ideas of places that could go wrong. connect to each database as a user, not using "/ as sysdba".

hth,

Paul Received on Wed Jun 27 2001 - 23:34:13 CDT