Re: Remote Database Link

From: Mr. Lynn Moorhead <lynncind_at_swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:12:46 -0400

I get a message like "linkname attaches to linkname", which is obviously where I want it attached. However, it doesn't actually appear to be functioning. I have successfully created a "Remote Database Link" from the Windows 2000 machine to the Windows NT 4.0 machine (actually from two different Win2k machines to the NT 4.0 machine), but I cannot seem to create it in the opposite direction. It has been suggested to me by a friend that it could be a privileges issue or some sort of Authentication difference between 2000 and NT 4.0. I've "dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's" so to speak, but I must have missed some ADDITIONAL requirement when trying to go from an older OS to a newer one. It seemed like such a simple question, but I haven't found anyone who has done it or had a need to do it in this manner.

I'm trying to get approval to upgrade this "questionable" machine to Win2K which will make this all irrelevant, but I'm still interested in the answer in case I encounter this again in the future. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn :-)

"Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba_at_qwest.net> wrote in message news:3B39DA21.A61DF7D_at_qwest.net...
> Lynn,
>
> What happens when you sign on to SQL*Plus and issue the following:
> SELECT SYSDATE FROM DUAL_at_linkname;
> What error message do your receive? There are a couple of things that
> could be wrong here.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> "Mr. Lynn Moorhead" wrote:
> >
> > Sorry about the lack of info., but I was just trying to be brief as I
> > realize most people are VERY busy.
> > Running 8i Version 8.1.6 on all boxes concerned. It is not actually
> > "giving" an error when creating the link, but when you use the GUI to
 create
> > and then attempt to "test" the link with the "Test" button. The pop-up
> > message is: "The database link is not Active."
> >
> > I can Tnsping the database, I can Ping the workstation, I can remote
 connect
> > (i.e. connect user/password_at_dbname), and all of these function normally,
 but
> > I need a Remote Database Link to create a synonym for a database on this
 NT
> > 4.0 server for some other processes that require this type of
 connectivity.

> > Thanks...
> >
> > Lynn :-)
> >
> > "TurkBear" <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > It would help if you specified what you mean by 'I cannot accomplish
 this' --

> > > What error message(s)
> > > What versions of the Database on each...
> > >
> > > More info please, the universe of possibilities is too large guess
 at...

 Database
 Link,
 If