Re: more index questions

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:38:07 +1000

<bplegend_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You rebuild an index when your index has about 5 to 10% fragmented, a
> number of chained/migrated rows and after a large load of data.

Close, but no banana. That sounds like 'when do I reorganise my tables', not rebuild indexes. Indexes don't suffer from row migration.

> You can look at your 'analyze index' output and decide whether the
> index needs a rebuild.

Mmmm. Not terribly helpful, really.

Tell you what: put it in numbers.... After an Analyze Index command, you query the Index_Stats view, and get the ratio of DEL_LF_ROWS to LF_ROWS. If that ratio is over 20% or so (exact mileage varies, depending on how much fluffiness in your indexes you are prepared to tolerate), then it's time to rebuild (bearing in mind that rebuilding an index is not a trivial task -involving table locks, lots of i/o and a hefty double-chunk of disk real estate, you wouldn't want to be *too* aggressive about rebuilding them. 20%-ish is about right).

Regards
HJR