Re: Remote Database Link

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:26:41 -0500

Try, while logged into the NT database in SqlPlus: create public database link newlinktow2k connect to <yourusernamehere> identified by <yourpass> using 'whatever tnsnames.ora entry you need'
Then
Test it to get a meaningful error message...  e.g. select sysdate from dual_at_newlinktow2k

Depending on the results here is one thing to check:

Does the NT server have a correct tnsnames.ora file in its proper location? This is the file the server will use to resolve the link alias..

"Mr. Lynn Moorhead" <lynncind_at_swbell.net> wrote:

>Sorry about the lack of info., but I was just trying to be brief as I
>realize most people are VERY busy.
>Running 8i Version 8.1.6 on all boxes concerned. It is not actually
>"giving" an error when creating the link, but when you use the GUI to create
>and then attempt to "test" the link with the "Test" button. The pop-up
>message is: "The database link is not Active."
>
>I can Tnsping the database, I can Ping the workstation, I can remote connect
>(i.e. connect user/password_at_dbname), and all of these function normally, but
>I need a Remote Database Link to create a synonym for a database on this NT
>4.0 server for some other processes that require this type of connectivity.
>
>Thanks...
>
>Lynn :-)
>
>"TurkBear" <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> It would help if you specified what you mean by 'I cannot accomplish
 this' --

>> What error message(s)
>> What versions of the Database on each...
>>
>> More info please, the universe of possibilities is too large guess at...
>>

>> "Mr. Lynn Moorhead" <lynncind_at_swbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> >My Question is simple: How do you MAKE a Windows NT 4.0 successfully
>> >"CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK..." to a Windows 2000 machine? I can
>> >successfully connect from a Win2K box to NT 4.0 with a Remote Database
 Link,