Re: Ynt: Creation of Oracle databases

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:55:06 -0500

There appears to be some confusion about terms here; An Oracle instance is what many other databases call a database ( esp sqlServer and Access) It can, and usually does, have many schemas - that is, a set of objects ( tables,views,procs,etc) 'owned' by a particular Oracle account..

All schemas use the 'common' resources of the instance..

In short, the concept of 'multiple databases in a single instance' is incorrect when used in the Oracle context;

 Try http://technet.oracle.com and check out the Server Concepts docs for a better explanation of the Oracle structure and design..