Re: Are these too harsh ?

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2001 20:59:20 -0700

Hey, I like Connor's questions. Because that way people won't judge me by just the number of years I've been doing DBA instead of number of hours. I know most of those questions will hurt a lot of senior DBAs, especially those that have been permanent employees at one company for a long time and boast of their experience that "I started to use Oracle from version so and so". However, not too many of those know a lot about Oracle 8i, much less 9i. Languages such as Perl, knowledge of UNIX such as NFS and NIS (actually these two things are new any more, bad example) are their weak points. But as a DBA with a high salary, you can't convince the boss saying you don't know these. Maybe he doesn't care. But if he meets another DBA that also knows UNIX system admin, he'll start to think less of you. Just the fact of life.

Yong Huang