Re: Explain Plan.....plan_table.cost and plan_table.cardinality

From: Edward <eshevtsov_at_flagship.ru>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:15:48 +0400

"Zoom Zoom Zoom" <satnic_at_home.com> wrote in message news:PpwZ6.123855$%i7.86041378_at_news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com...
> I am just ran the explain plan for one of the sql statement in Oracle
 8.1.7
> and did select from plan_table. Although I could see the :
> operation, options and object_name columns, the COST and CARDINALITY
 columns
> are null. Why are not they getting populated?

Hi Zoom, Zoom...

If you run your statement with RULE optimizer (or didn't collect statistics) the COST,
CARDINALITY columns contain NULLs.

My second assumption (regarding CARDINALITY) is that you have created the PLAN table with a 3d party
application (not via UTLXPLAN script). The structure of PLAN table depends on
 Oracle version, but some old 3d party applications may have hard-coded structure
of PLAN table that isn't appropriate for your Oracle version.

Regards,
Ed Received on Mon Jun 25 2001 - 05:15:48 CDT