Re: O 8.0.5 SGA size HPUX 11

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 04:00:36 GMT

Dave Grantier wrote:

> Jonathan,
> Thanks for the response.
> That's what I've been hearing from others.
> Any idea why?
> I've heard that it doesn't work that way on Solaris...Do you know if
> that's true?
>
> cheers
>
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 15:10:59 +0100, "Jonathan Lewis"
> <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > If you are running 32-bit Oracle on 32-bit HP-UX 11,
> > then the sum of all SGAs may not exceed 1.7GB,
> > and this is more of a limit from HP-UX than it is
> > from Oracle.
> >
> > If you run 32-bit Oracle on 64-bit HP-UX, I __believe__
> > that you can use a 'virtual machine' or 'memory
> > window' feature of the O/S to run each copy of
> > Oracle in it's own memory space , thus allowing
> > each instance to have a 1.7 GB SGA.
> >
> > If you run 64-bit Oracle on 64-bit HP-UX, then
> > I don't think you have any such limitation.
> >

> > --
> > Jonathan Lewis
> >
> > Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
> > http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html
> >
> > Author of:
> > Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
> > See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html
> >
> > Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
> > See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
> >

> > Dave Grantier wrote in message <3b33efb5.856141_at_news.mindspring.com>...
> > >Greetings.
> > >I have been receiving some conflicting information and was hoping
> > >someone could shed some light on the issue.
> > >
> > >We have an Oracle 8.0.5 database (32 bit) running on an HPUX 11.0
> > >server (10 way CPU, 8 Gig RAM). I have been told that the maximum
> > >size for the SGA can be around 1.7 gigs or so, due to the 32 bit
> > >architecture of the database.
> > >

> Dave

> |nojunkmail_at_nospam.com| bellsouth.net |
> |nospam_at_nojunkmail.com| davegrantier@ |

  1. The total limit for all shared segments called from 32-bit applications is 1.7G under HP-UX. Actually, it's about 2G, but 0.3G is used by OS itself. Don't ask why, apparently, they have some architecture features.
  2. Solaris has quite different architecture. There was a 2G restriction on one shared segment in 2.5, I don't know if it still exists it the lates versions. But as far as I know, other shared segments can be allocated as well.