Re: O 8.0.5 SGA size HPUX 11

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:27:47 GMT

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:30:46 GMT, dave_at_foobar.com (Dave Grantier) wrote:

>So, maybe the largest shared memory in HPUX (even 64 bit) is 2 gigs?
>I guess that's plausible.

No, I wouldn't say that max shared mem in 64 bit is 2 gigs. It most likely is in 32 bit HPUX.

Shared memory has its address range shared by all processes using it. That means it has to be within the address range of a process. If the process itself can only adddress 32 bits, then shared mem *HAS* to be below 4Gb. With other overheads like the OS address range as well, I'm not surprised it is set at a max of 1.5Gb.

Having said that, I wouldn't have a clue what would happen with 32 bit processes executing in 64 bit HPUX. That might open a few doors?

Of course, 64 bit processes running in 64 bit HPUX would not have this restriction.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sat Jun 23 2001 - 11:27:47 CDT