Re: O 8.0.5 SGA size HPUX 11

From: Dave Grantier <dave_at_foobar.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:30:46 GMT

So, maybe the largest shared memory in HPUX (even 64 bit) is 2 gigs? I guess that's plausible.

I'll check the shared memory settings when I can.

But that would imply that all processes using shared memory couldn't top out 2 gigs (or thereabouts). I would think that whether we were dealing with Oracle or not wouldn't make a difference.

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 08:22:17 GMT, nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam (Nuno Souto) wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:29:40 GMT, dave_at_foobar.com (Dave Grantier)
> wrote:
>
> >I have been also told that the sum of the SGA sizes of ALL INSTANCES
> >running on the box must be under or at 1.7 gigs. This seems very
> >strange to me. My thinking is that the HPUX kernel will assign a 4
> >gig virtual address space (2 gig?) to each process in its process
> >table. I'm not a unix programmer, so I can't confirm, though.
> >It just seems like I should be able to crank up two or more databases,
> >each with an SGA of 1.7 gigs if I wanted.
> >

> Probably yes. It all depends on the settings of shared memory. All
> SGA space is allocated in shared memory in Unix. If the max shared
> memory address is set too low or limited or the start of shared memory
> set too high, then you can't get more. Check the shm man pages and
> shmget pages. That will point you where to look for max sizes,
> settings, and so on.
>
> Varies quite widely from maker to maker, there is no standard for
> shared memory setup other than call interface.
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
> http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html

Dave

|nojunkmail_at_nospam.com| bellsouth.net |
|nospam_at_nojunkmail.com| davegrantier@ |