Re: O 8.0.5 SGA size HPUX 11

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 08:22:17 GMT

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:29:40 GMT, dave_at_foobar.com (Dave Grantier) wrote:

>I have been also told that the sum of the SGA sizes of ALL INSTANCES
>running on the box must be under or at 1.7 gigs. This seems very
>strange to me. My thinking is that the HPUX kernel will assign a 4
>gig virtual address space (2 gig?) to each process in its process
>table. I'm not a unix programmer, so I can't confirm, though.
>It just seems like I should be able to crank up two or more databases,
>each with an SGA of 1.7 gigs if I wanted.

Probably yes. It all depends on the settings of shared memory. All SGA space is allocated in shared memory in Unix. If the max shared memory address is set too low or limited or the start of shared memory set too high, then you can't get more. Check the shm man pages and shmget pages. That will point you where to look for max sizes, settings, and so on.

Varies quite widely from maker to maker, there is no standard for shared memory setup other than call interface.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sat Jun 23 2001 - 03:22:17 CDT