Re: Database slowed down and consistently taking up 25% of the CPU; like a zombie.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 10:13:41 +0100

As Sybrand says, we need more clues;
however there are two common culprits
a) A job-queue process (look at init.ora

    parameters related to job_queue). It may     be reasonable to deal with this problem     by disabling job queue processing
b) smon struggling to clear up an earlier problem

    with temporary space, and massive numbers of     extents left in your temporary tablespaces.     In which case you just have to wait for the     work to complete. In this case, make sure you     have a reasonable extent size set for your     temporary tablespaces so that you don't     end up with more than a couple of thousand     extents.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html