CHANGE CHARACTER SET US7ACII --> WE8ISO8859P1 - Error?

From: Jeremy Ovenden <jovenden_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:10:10 +0100

I have researched how to change the character set on an Oracle8 database. This involves several steps in svrmgr (omitted here) but this one errors:

SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1; When I issue this, I get the error
ORA-12710: new character set must be a superset of old character set

The documentation says you can do this e.g. from US7ASCII to the specified character set...but why won't it work for me? Have Oracle 8.0.6 on Solaris 2.7

FYI here are my nls_database_parameters:

SVRMGR> select * from nls_database_parameters;

PARAMETER                      VALUE

NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA NLS_CURRENCY $ NLS_ISO_CURRENCY AMERICA NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS ., NLS_CHARACTERSET US7ASCII NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD-MON-YY NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE AMERICAN NLS_SORT BINARY NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET US7ASCII NLS_RDBMS_VERSION 8.0.6.0.0
12 rows selected.

Thanks for any advice!