Re: how do you know when to add space to tablesapce?

From: andrew_webby at hotmail <spam_at_no.thanks.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:33:32 +0100

Most segments are more than 1 extent, and you would likely monitor their growth trend. I have no need to know how close any of my segments are to extending - but I can predict it through analyzing the trend. But I never need to, because...

I just have a cron job that will detect any segments that are likely to fail if they extend twice. By appropriately sizing next_extent, I can guarantee that I'll know about impending doom well in advance because no segment will extend twice in one day... consequently, I run most tablespaces pretty near to full most of the time.