Re: sort/select discrepancy with umlaut Oracle 7

From: Lothar Armbrüster <la_at_oktagramm.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:33:02 +0200

Thomas Noone wrote:

 [...]
> Using "select company from adresses where company >= 'K' order by
> company",
> lists companies starting with umlaut A (ae) followed by companies
> starting
> with K or larger.
>
> How can I get Oracle to select as it sorts? That is, if Ae is sorted
> before
> K, do the same with select and NOT select Ae?

Hello Thomas,
try this:

select company from adresses where nlssort(company)>=nlssort('K');

You might consider creating a function based index on nlssort(company) if this kind of query occurs more often...

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | la_at_oktagramm.de
Hauptstr. 26            | la_at_heptagramm.de