Re: Triggers & Validations

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:05:11 -0500

your colleague is correct. even if it were possible to include calls to powerbuilder functions, it would not be a good idea.

it might be possible to have the trigger raised a user defined exception. there would need to be a way for powerbuilder to pass the exception through to your application code.

"William O'Neill" <wfoneill_at_mindspring.com> wrote in message news:9gu0ko$f4d$1_at_slb2.atl.mindspring.net...
> Am using Powerbuilder, v6.5.1 and Oracle 8.1.6 on WINNT. Would like to
> create a 'Before Insert' or 'Update' trigger on a particular table, and in
> this trigger validate 7 fields from the database. My question: if a
> validation fails(lets say, the first 3 are fine, but the 4th errors),
 then,
> I would like to stop the further processing of the trigger, and if
 possible,
> return an error message to the user, telling him where the failure was.
 Is