Re: Shared Server chewing up CPU

From: Steve Croft <stevec_at_ditdash.com>
Date: 21 Jun 2001 15:00:52 -0700

Sorry for the confusion. We have many Sun boxes and only a single Oracle instance on each; most are configured for Multi-Threaded Server. We have a mix of 8.1.7 and 8.1.7.1 throughout our shop.

The problem I described is happening on one of the 8.1.7 systems and on one of the 8.1.7.1 systems. These two happen to be the most heavily used systems. They are also configured for MTS (they are not the only ones, though).

To re-state the problem, every once in awhile we see a shared server process hang, utilizing 100% of a cpu. We've seen it on 8.1.7 and with the 8.1.7.1 patch applied so the patch doesn't help. The process hangs until we kill it.

Thanks,
Steve