Re: help:what is the difference btwn two analyze index?

From: Ulrich Pansegrau <das_hirn_at_freakmail.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 03:10:29 +0200

Hi,

COMPUTE STATISTICS gathers statistics which are used by the optimizer. VALIDATE STRUCTURE checks if the index is corrupted and collects some statistics that are not used by the optimizer.

So, if you want to speed up your statements, use COMPUTE STATISTICS. If you want to know more about your index, also use VALIDATE STRUCTURE.

<u518615722_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:l.993045162.1770446777@[198.138.198.252]...
> Hi, folks
>
> Could somebody tell me what is the difference between
>
> analyze index name compute statistics
> then select against user_indexes
> BLEVEL INDEX_NAME DISTINCT_KEYS
> ---------- ------------------------------ -------------
> 2 HISTORICAL_PK 18473672
>

> analyze index name validate structure
> then select against index_stats
>
> HEIGHT BLOCKS NAME DISTINCT_KEYS
> 3 45120 HISTORICAL_PK 11692267
>

> Which one gives the more accurate results?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Sent by dbadba62 from hotmail piece from com
> This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

Ulrich Pansegrau
http://www.pansegrau-it.de Received on Wed Jun 20 2001 - 20:10:29 CDT