Re: SQL Code for returning parents and children

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 19 Jun 2001 16:26:35 -0700

In article <56e9c9f0.0106191049.13320607_at_posting.google.com>, sfelten_at_ipsos-asi.com says...

>I have a need to query a table and return the parent and its parent
>and so on... as well as all the children for the row (but no grand
>children).
>
>I can get to the parents with the following code, but am unable to
>return the children. Any suggestions?

Start with the children instead of the parent:

select question_desc
from adgraph.questionnaire
where job_id = 'TB0101639'
start with question_label = (select question_label

                              from questionaire
                             where parent = 'Q1T_BNT'
                               and job_id = 'TB0101639' )
            and job_id = 'TB0101639'

connect by question_label = prior parent and job_id = 'TB0101639'