Re: newbie: cold backup questions

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:27:30 +1000

"Wonderinguy" <wonderinguy_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6950e82.0106180822.795d44ec_at_posting.google.com...
> Folks, I am pretty new to oracle and I would appreciate your opinion
> on this issue. I have setup a cold backup script which basically does
> this :
>
> 1. Shutdown database normal
> 2. Issue OS level CP command on datafile,controlfile,redologs - UNIX
> syste,
> 3. startup database.
>
> Recently I have been told, that the way I take the backup is wrong,

Well, whoever told you that is a looney, because they have obviously got their wires badly crossed between hot and cold backup techniques. What you have described above is cold backup technique, and it works fine, and (since the database is closed at the time of the O/S copy, there is not even the slightest whiff of a chance of block corruption). What you describe below is a total mishmash of hot and cold backup techniques. It's completely wrong, and you'd be well advised to stuff it in the face of whoever told it to you.

Read my backup document at
http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000/backup_and_recovery.htm and you'll see what the problem is.

> and chance of block corruption can occur or can go undetected by this.
> The way it should be done is :
>
> 1. Alter the table to either begin backup or read only
> 2. shutdown the database
> 3. use DD instead of CP
> 4. startup database

I particularly liked this point!! If you place a database in hotbackup mode and then shut the database down, you won't even be able to start it back up... without performing some sort of recovery or remedial action!!

You're doing it fine. Don't change now

Regards
HJR