Re: Oracle 8.05 hanging on batch inserts.

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 19 Jun 2001 05:23:15 -0700

In article <3B2E983F.FE82EEFD_at_telusplanet.net>, JEFF says...

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to do a large batch insert procedure. (Several millions).
>The insert is accomplished by reading data from a file using the PL/SQL
>utl_file package. While this batch process has worked in the past the
>session that is doing the batch inserts hangs somewhere between 2600 and
>4000 rows. That is no further rows get inserted and the session just
>freezes. If the process is killed at this point it will remain in
>v$session with a status of "KILLED" until the database is restarted.

instruement your code with calls to utl_file to WRITE a log so you can see where in the process you are. A simple routine called "log" that does

o utl_file.fopen( in append mode )
o utl_file.put_line
o utl_file.fclose

will be of great assistance in monitoring this.

That aside for a moment -- PLSQL is not the tool i would personally use to load millions of records. SQLLDR (direct path) would be. Loading millions of records via utl_file+plsql isn't a great idea (loading hundreds to low thousands, sure)