Re: Oracle9i on Linux

From: Claus L. Rasmussen <clr_at_cc-consult.dk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:19:19 +0200

CSC wrote:

> Can I install Oracle9i on Redhat 7 ?

You can install Oracle9i on RedHat 7.1 (don't know about RedHat 7.0).

But you need to upgrade/downgrade the binutils package. Some people have reported success by downgrading binutils to the version supplied with RedHat 7.0, but I managed to get through by upgrading to the binutils version 2.10.91.0.4-1 available in .rpm format from

        ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils/

(I know there is newer versions of binutils, but this one works for me).

Do NOT do any of the procedures documented to get Oracle8i running on RedHat 7.1 - in fact RedHat made some modifications to the binutils package to get Oracle8i run on RedHat 7.1, but the very same modifications now prevents Oracle9i from installing cleanly.

Do RedHat and Oracle talk to each other at all ??

        -Claus Received on Mon Jun 18 2001 - 11:19:19 CDT