Re: informix/oracle comparison

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:57:58 GMT

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:13:20 +0100, "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>Those who quote the OS2 example should bear in mind how long it actually
>took IBM to drop it.

Actually, they haven't. It's still supported and receives regular "service packs". But I wouldn't go back to it. Too little, too late. I'm afraid that will be the future of Informix. Unfortunately.

That links with one of my strongest pet peeves with all the IBM software rigmarole. There is no doubt in my mind their hardware is first rate and very reliable. When it comes to software, it's a completely different story. They have never demonstrated the slightest commitment to really advancing anything.

The current "ardour" with DB2/UDB/DB2-400 is just a fad, probably at the order of Gerstner&Co. The moment they get the market share they want, they'll go back to the usual snooze.

Look at their whole mainframe s/w: still hampered and limited by the "16Mb memory line". Sure it has workarounds. But they never bitten the bullet and got rid of it once and for all. Darn thing was around when I was in mainframes 25 years ago. We used to laugh about it. Still there. Still causing problems. If > 25 years isn't enough to fix it once and for all...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Mon Jun 18 2001 - 09:57:58 CDT