Re: The equivalent of "host" in PL/SQL ?

From: I hate Spam <tbf_at_cn.stam.dk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:18:38 +0200

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:24:48 -0500, "bhogak" <bhogak_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I too fail to understand why PL/SQL doesn't have a Host command. Yes, we can
>use Java or external C libraries or use DBMS_pipe and pro*C to issue a
>System command. But all of these are work arounds. PL/SQL definitely has
>come a long way. We can now even do Socket Programming within a PL/SQL. Why
>didn't Oracle add a Host command? I am not sure, but may be its because of
>Security reasons.

Well one partly valid reason could be that it could ruin the excellent multi-platform strategy of Oracle. But I agree. I guess making a .DLL in delphi or C and using that instead shouldn't be too complicated for my purpose. I just prefer to avoid the extra testing necessary.
Thanks for your reply.

Yours Hans Erik Busk
tbf_at_cn.stam.dk Received on Mon Jun 18 2001 - 04:18:38 CDT