Re: HELP! - Oracle Database Creation Assistant stalls

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:03:57 GMT

Jason wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:16:47 -0400, "Vincent Ventrone"
> <vav_at_brandeis.edu> wrote:
>
> >> Will I be able to actually start Oracle without a database? Also,
> >> should I still use the sample database when I run the assistant after
> >> install? Will let you know if this works.
> >
> >No -- you need a database first. However I agree with the advice you got --
> >install Oracle first & then create a DB later using dbassist --- "divide &
> >conquer"...
> >

> OK, I tried this with two different reinstalls. One was a typical
> install and the other a minimal install. I used dbassist to create
> the database after the install completed. This time the it stalled
> out on:
>
> java.lang.thread.run
>
> Any other ideas?

Your response to Jon indicates that you didn't quite understand his advise. Jon was saying that you should go and install Oracle, but NOT create
a database at the end of the installation process. While it's true that you won't be able to start Oracle without a database, you CAN run the program 'dbassist' (Its in $ORACLE_HOME/bin).

For some reason, when you do the database creation as part of the Oracle installation, the database creation process is different than when you run
the two separately. The type of install "typical" and "minimal" have nothing to do with it.

Good luck,

-Dirk Received on Mon Jun 18 2001 - 18:03:57 CDT