Re: For you Howard...

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 08:27:39 +0100

M Hashim,

I note that your original post carefully failed to highlight the phrase:

        "unless I can prove them right"

There is a big difference between
approach 1:

    Read the documentation
    Try the method described in the documentation     Check for spelling errors
    Check for grammar error
    Test a couple of variations
    Post

        "The XXX manual says on p.nnn do ...
        "I typed the following ...
        "This is what happened ...
        "Please help

and approach 2.

    I wonder if I can (e.g.) use outer joins     Try MSSQL syntax
    Post

        "Outer joins don't work properly ..

It is perfectly reasonable to ignore the manuals, but only AFTER you have
read them and tested them carefully
at least once.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html