Re: retrieve foreign keys list

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2001 06:40:02 -0700

In article <8ca29eec.0106161542.315801e5_at_posting.google.com>, k.vinayak_at_usa.net says...

>>Why the heck do you believe create database link is a "bad" thing? Seems pretty
>>safe to me. It does not give you the ability to do anything you should not be
>> able to do?
>>

>What about "queries from hell" run through the database link ? I had
>trouble with this when our reports dev team did twice on the
>production db and because of this I had to set up profiles ( for read
>only accounts ) and .protocol.ora
>
>Vinayak

Umm -- how is this different from "queries from hell" run WITHOUT a database link????

If those guys could access the database via a dblink, they could access it directly via sqlplus and run the bad queries. You don't need a dblink to write a bad query.

Using a database link does not give anyone the un-precendented ability to write a query that brings the system to its knees. They already have that ability with CREATE SESSION (so maybe its create session that is the bad guy here -- if no one can log in, everything is great ;) -- thats a joke.