Re: Sort tablespace usage

From: Brian Tkatch <SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 13:34:18 GMT

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:41:05 GMT, willjamu_at_mindspring.com (James Williams) wrote:

>I have always thought the only space a user has for order by, group,
>etc was from his temp tablespace from the create user. Another tells
>me you can have a specail temp tablespace for sort usage only. Is his
>true? I have not seen such even though its apealing. 8.1.6.3

<URL:http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/c02block.htm#2528>

"Extents in Temporary Segments"

A single sort allocates its own temporary segment, in the temporary tablespace of the user issuing the statement, and then returns the extents to the tablespace.

Multiple sorts, however, can use sort segments in a temporary tablespace designated exclusively for sorts. These sort segments are allocated only once for the instance, and they are not returned after the sort but remain available for other multiple sorts.

HTH,
Brian Received on Sun Jun 17 2001 - 08:34:18 CDT