Re: ORACLE ON A WAN

From: Fred A G <nospam_at_allowed.localhost>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 18:19:35 +0200

"Paul Drake" <paled_at_home.com> wrote in message news:3B2AFACB.BFE3E506_at_home.com...

> 8.1.6 is off support as of 31-SEP-2001 - upgrade to 8.1.7 asap.

Off the Wan topic, sure, but I keep hearing this over and over so I have to ask... To be on the right side of supported versions sure sounds right. But, is it EVER possible in the real world?

Oracle (and other software companies) seems to be in a hurry to release new stuff and forget about those that are "stuck" with existing systems (and managing them). Application system vendors in my world have a hard time supporting one version release (and 7.3 releases are still commonness, one new this year!). I expect to see systems based on 8.1 coming forth over the next 1-3 years, perhaps first one the server side and on the client side later on (takes time to rebuild and test a big load of dll's, I'd guess).

Regards
/Fad Received on Sun Jun 17 2001 - 11:19:35 CDT