Re: Installation problem with Oracle 8.1.6 on Mandrake 8

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:19:26 GMT

Mario Nenno wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to install the Oracle version: 'ORALCE8i for
> Linux 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition' from the book 'ORACLE 8i
> for LINUX Starter Kit' on my PC with Mandrake 8.
>
> I did all the pre-install according the instructions
> in the book but when I start the Universal Installer
> (/mnt/cdrom/runInstaller) I get the following error
> message and the installer stops working (see below).
>
> Can anyone give me some help to overcome this problem?
>
> By the way, on another PC with Mandrake 7.2 there
> is no problem at all!
>
> Mario Nenno,
> M.Nenno_at_Libero.it

Mandrake 8 uses glibc 2.2 and a 2.4 kernel. Oracle 9i for Linux is compatible with these without patches. If you're just mucking around, that may be the ticket.

Otherwise - might I suggest using SuSE Linux for running Oracle 8i on Linux?
You will find support from both the Linux vendor and Oracle on SuSE. (provided that you are paying for support).

hth,

Paul Received on Sat Jun 16 2001 - 14:19:26 CDT