Re: informix/oracle comparison

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:00:39 -0400

Hi Daniel,

Five years in a market with an 18month product cycle are 3 (three!) full releases.
Noone knows who will be on which end of the market in five years. Five years ago DB2 on Unix/Windows had a marketshare of less than 5% and was in Version 2. Oracle chose to ignore DB2's existence back then. Now DB2 has tripled in market share and one look at the Oracle homepage is enough to see the change.
In five years DB2 can easily be in a position to be the natural path to upgrade (not migrate) for an Informix customer if that were the plan to be chosen. So if in five years there will be no Informix IDS V12 - so what?

And I invite you (for the third time, now) to read the more recent whitepaper I pointed you to and which you seemingly prefer to ignore :-)

Cheers
Serge Received on Sat Jun 16 2001 - 21:00:39 CDT