Re: how long does it really take to upgrade 8.0.5 to 8.1.7

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:33:03 GMT

Robert Yeh wrote:

> HP unix.
>
> I was told 3-4 hours. Does it really take that long? What are the risks
> involved? How difficult is it to roll it back if the application has
> problems.
>
> Thanks

Well, if you don't bother to take a full_cold_backup and full_export prior to performing the upgrade, and a full_cold_backup after the upgrade, you'll have at least cut the time needed in half.

Also, don't bother to recompile your schemas, compute statistics or even think about rebuilding indexes.

That is time that you should spend updating your resume. :)

Btw, does the concept of converting to Locally Managed Tablespaces interest you?
Does you existing database suffer from non-uniformly sized extents within a tablespace?
Do you have lots of user_segments thrown in the System tablespace? Might you reduce your average index tree height by increasing your db_block_size from 4096 to 8192?

if so - you might elect to perform an export/db_create in 8.1.7/import.

just a thought. sorry for being a prick - just wanted to get my point across.
I performed an 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 upgrade this evening of a PROD database - and I still used exp/imp just to get a clean start with LMTs, and a clean db_create with intermedia and all that java stuff. I had an export and a cold backup set on disk - and created another set when I was done.
Total time - 5 hours, including dinner.

The java creation can take nearly 45 minutes on non-optimal hardware, if you're installing it.

good luck,

Paul Received on Sat Jun 16 2001 - 01:33:03 CDT