HELP! - Oracle Database Creation Assistant stalls

From: Jason <somebody_at_somewhere.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:11:56 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to install Oracle 8iR3 on a Sun E250 machine. The server has 512MB RAM and 10GB free drive space. It is running Solaris 8 with all the latest patches applied.

The installation works fine until I get to the Database Creation Assistant. The assistant gets to the creation of the database and stalls at 1% If I cancel the creation and restart it, the same results occur. The option I selected was to use the database available from the CD.

I have tried reinstalling the software to no avail. My current install is a 'minimum' install. The previous install was a 'typical' install. I have used the Oracle published 'Installation Guide' and gone through all pre-install tasks. I have tried running this assistant AFTER installation, to no avail. I have even tried creating a database from scratch - same results.

The only other information I have from the software is this that it always gets stuck on the following thread (?):

java.lang.thread.long

At this point it stalls. When I run the assistant AFTER installation and hit cancel, I get an error along the lines of 'incorrect password'. I don't even know where to specify a password for the assistant!

Any help is appreciated. I'm very new to Oracle, so it may be something obvious.

Thanks,
Jason