Re: Any experience with 9i real application clusters? 9i in general? vs. 8i parallel??

From: koert54 <k_at_k.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:35:36 GMT

Oracle 9i Real Application Clusters is just a fancy name for Oracle Parallel Server.
The difference : 9i OPS implements the full cache fusion mechanism making it more suitable for OLTP (if you have a heavy and expensive interconnect) whileas 8i OPS implements cache fusion
phase one (cache fusion for undo blocks). Basically 9i depends more on the interconnect I/O for cache coherency/consistency and
8i on disk I/O. As always with OPS, the goal is still to let the instances handle mutual exclusive
datasets to reduce contention and increase performance. So hardware requirements in OPS are the same for 8i & 9i - oh - and you still need raw devices :-)

You might want to take a look at standby databases which with 9i can be read/write (logical standby) ... you'll need double the storage tho...

To me the best solution is still a mutual take over cluster of for example DB server and application
server ... it's easy to set up, easy to manage and kicks ass (at least on IBM AIX)
Don't get into the OPS mess if you don't have to !

Kind Regards,
Kurt Van Meerbeeck