Re: Linking Access 2000 to Oracle 7.3.4.5

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:00:11 -0500

First, we may need to see your tnsnames.ora,listener.ora and sqlnet.ora files to be sure the sql Net connect string is set correctly - Also the Oracle ODBC driver is notoriously unreliable..try the Microsoft one instead.
I link to several Oracle instances in my Access 2000 database and the steps to do it were just as you described..
There may be a version conflict as well, here is a fuller text explanation for an Ora-03121 error:

ORA-03121 ORA-03121no interface driver connected - function not performed

Cause:This message occurs usually because the SQL*Net driver is not loaded into memory or there is a mismatch of the version of the driver. A user program linked with an obsolete library may also cause this message. Only programs provided by Oracle Corporation should use this interface.

Action:If the message occurred during use of a program provided by Oracle Corporation, contact Worldwide Customer Support. If a user program caused the message, relink the program with current versions of the ORACLE libraries.

hth,

mtbkab_at_yahoo.com (Michael Brown) wrote:

>First of all, I appreciate the responses.
>
>I understand that my description of my problem has been vague so
>I will attempt to explain the problem I'm having as detailed
>as possible.
>
>I am attempting to link access 2000 to an Oracle database (7.3.4.5).
>The Oracle database is located on an NT server.
>
>These are the steps that I have taken.
>
>1) I installed Oracle7 ODBC Driver Version 2.5.3.1.7 (32 bit) for
> Windows NT 4.0/95/98 on a desktop.
>2) I then went to ODBC Data Sources (32 bit)and clicked add user DSN
> and selected the Oracle driver I had just installed.
>3) I entered the following:
> Data Source Name: Oracle
> SQL Net Connect String: QTOT
> User ID: SYSADM
>4) I then went into access File>Get external data>Link Tables
>5) I selected in Files of Type ODBC Databases()
>6) I then selected the data source I created.
>7) I was prompted for a password, I entered the password and i
> received the following error:
>
> ODBC--Call failed
>
> [Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI]ORA-03121: no interface
> driver connected - function not performed. (#3121)
> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr
> failed(#0)[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's
> SQLsetConnect Attr failed (#0)
>
>Now I'm not sure if I have loaded the wrong driver or if I need
>to load something on the server.
>
>Any suggestions please?
>

>TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<bt42itc4ev0clpjlk79qg42vh48gd90rdn_at_4ax.com>...
>> Sorry, but you will have to be a little clearer:
>>
>> What do you mean by 'can't locate Oracle'?
>>
>> In Access 2000
>> Use
>> File..External data...Link Tables
>> select ODBC databases as the type,
>> Find the DSN for your Oracle database
>> Use it to pick the table(s) you want to link..
>> ( this is not a lot different, as I recall, from earlier Access methods)
>>

>> mtbkab_at_yahoo.com (Michael Brown) wrote:

 Access