Re: how long does it really take to upgrade 8.0.5 to 8.1.7

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:39:15 -0700

Robert Yeh wrote:

> HP unix.
>
> I was told 3-4 hours. Does it really take that long? What are the risks
> involved? How difficult is it to roll it back if the application has
> problems.
>
> Thanks

The blanket statement 3-4 hours is meaningless. It depends on the hardware, which you didn't mention, the operating system, which you didn't mention, the speed of CD and hard disks, which you didn't mention, and possibly network speed, which you didn't mention.

Given that I think 3-4 hours time is a reasonable guestimate. Because the upgrade isn't just about installing from a CD. It is also running catalog.sql, catproc.sql, pupbld.sql, and perhaps other scripts such as catexp.sql that you might require.

The risks are somewhere between minimal and non-existant if you know what you are doing and don't create problems with environment variables such as ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Fri Jun 15 2001 - 15:39:15 CDT