Re: Oracle server 8.1.7

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:12:34 -0700

Nick Taylor wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> >
> > That disappeared because too many posters here
> > - refuse to do anything to try to resolve their problems themselves and see
> > Usenet as *first* resort, instead as of second
> > - refuse to read the manuals and just hack away
> > - ask the same questions over and over again which have been answered
> > *zillions* of times, because they refuse to search the newsgroup archives.
>
> In which case, why not just answer very concisely by referring the
> poster to the FAQ??
>
> Nick
> --
> Nick Taylor
> Say No to Spammers - What You See Isn't What You Get to Email Me

It gets very tiring.

But in answer to Johnathan Lewis's concern ... I always check the country of origin ... and I am very restrained when it is a case that someone has English as a second or tertiary language.

In this case the operative phrase I was reacting to was "stripping down" which is not something you learn in DBA class. And is, in the vernacular the equivalent of "gutting" as in removing the innards of a fish. If the poster had even read the first readme file on the CD, or glanced at the initSID.ora file he would have found adequate information on creating a small footprint.

But the footprint of an Oracle database is not something you determine independent of evaluating the needs of the instance. At least not if you want it to run.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Fri Jun 15 2001 - 19:12:34 CDT