Re: New Instance

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:47:30 GMT

When a database is started (nomount) on a database server Oracle allocates a memory area called the System Global Area or SGA and starts one or more Oracle processes. The combination of the SGA and these processes is called an instance.
 After starting an instance Oracle mounts a database (a set of data files) to the instance. Multiple instances, each accessing its own physical database can be run on the same computer. In parallel server systems a single database can mount multiple instances.