Re: Migrated Rows

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:41:42 +1000

Hi Norman,

Since the only fix for row chaining is to increase your block size, I shall be *extremely* interested to hear how you've pulled that trick off!

If CHAIN_CNT in DBA_TABLES is anything other than 0, you have either row chaining or row migration. Chaining you can do sod all about, unless you re-create your database with a bigger block size (and even that won't fix up a 2Gb video file being chained!). Therefore, for all tables with a non-zero chain_cnt, check the table structure. If the length of a single row can't fit into a block, then the CHAIN_CNT figure is row chaining. If rows *can* fit into a single block, but chain_cnt is still non-zero, it's row migration -and a 'move tablespace' will quickly fix that up.

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle