Re: Urgent: Oracle 8 parallel server on VMS 7

From: Viacheslav Leichinsky <v_leichinsky_at_ittoolbox.com>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 06:20:49 -0700

"Harald Thienel" <harald_at_h-thienel.de> wrote in message news:<9fr6la$6jh$03$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> Since one week we are running Oracle 8.1.7 on VMS-Alpha-Cluster (3 machines)
> in parallel server mode. VMS Version is 7.2.1.
> there is one instance of the database on every machine. The database is used
> by 200-300 users distributed on the 3 machines.
>
> First problem is that Oracle 8 seems to be several times slower than Oracle
> 7 (maybe 4 times).
>
> But the big problem is that after some hours (1 to 3), Oracle becomes
> getting slower and slower and then stops processing completely. All users
> are waiting forever. This seems to be a problem in the lock management
> (LMD-process). Sometimes this state can be cured by shutting down one
> instance of the database (then the other two resume working), sometimes all
> three instances must be shut down and restarted. In a manufacturing
> environment like ours, these shutdowns are not very wellcome...
>
> We are in contact with Oracle-Support and tweeking around with parameters,
> but this didn't really help so far.
>
> The situation is escalating - any help is very welcome!
> Thanks
> Harald

Hi Harald!
The first problem (lower performance) is well known pinging problem. You should avoid inserts and updates into the same database blocks from the different instances. You can make it using freelist groups; this techniques is well described in documentation. But what is reason of your second problem when Oracle becomes getting slower and slower and then stops processing completely ? Unfortunately,
I don't know.
From my point of view, the easiest way to solve the problem - to open TAR on metalink and Oracle support must solve this one. May it is Oracle bug, may be something else ?
Probably, you should adjust some VMS settings or setup VMS patches. Are you sure that Oracle 8.1.7 is compatible with VMS version and cluster software? Or you can investigate the behaviour of your system: is there swaping, what process leaks memory and so on.

Regards,
Slava. Received on Fri Jun 15 2001 - 08:20:49 CDT