Re: SQL Server vs Oracle

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:28:26 GMT

On 13 Jun 2001 08:35:44 -0700, sfelten_at_ipsos-asi.com (scott felten) wrote:

>Our company is fustrated by Oracles enormous licensing costs and we
>are looking at SQL Server. What would we loose by going to SQL
>Server? Or what are some links that talk to this subject.

Scott, quality does not come for free. You should really taste the SS waters for a while (real system, not some crap demo), then see if you like what it gets up to. Try funny things, like pulling the plug on the system and crashing it on purpose. Then see how well it comes back. Then see what happens when you have to apply patches/service packs and so on. Is it just a case of plonking in a new database server or do you have to spend extra for COM+ compatible s/w?

There is a good reason why ORACLE is more expensive. However, it does not have to be MUCH more expensive.

Do you really need EE? Or could you run your system on Standard Edition? It makes a huge diff. Do you really need the Premium Support? Or wouldn't it be cheaper to just hire an in-house DBA with some experience? What about options? Are you running a minimal system or paying for all the extras you don't really need/use? Small details like that can make a big difference on the bottom line.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Thu Jun 14 2001 - 06:28:26 CDT