Re: Load Balancing

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:11:34 +0100

I was thinking of the following extract from the app_clusters.pdf file on the 9i pages of OTN:

Quote:

    One audited result from Compaq running a two node ProLiant 6400R with     Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 shows 3,248 users on Real Application Clusters.     This can be directly compared to Compaq’s Single Node benchmark result of

    1,792 users running on a single ProLiant 6400R database. The result of this

    apple-to-apple comparison shows a 1.81 scalability factor for Real Application

    Clusters with its Cache Fusion technology. This details of this benchmark and

    its independent audited results are available at http://www.oracle.com/apps_benchmark.
End quote

Whilst this looks very good for the smaller sites wanting a resilient solution, it struck me that 2 was a very special number, and NT has VIA. I am delighted to hear that HP has got their light-weight protocol off the ground as the IP overhead was quite significant even on a very well designed 7/8 OPS system.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html