Re: Standby DB Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:06:16 +1000

"M Hashim" <mhashim_at_passport.ca> wrote in message news:3B2828A2.2859AD00_at_passport.ca...
> I'm still trying to locate the answer to bring the standby into
 production -
> read/write mode.
> alter database activate standby database - put it in standby mode, can't
 update
> a table for example.

Incorrect. Activate standby database puts the standby database into full production mode. READ THE DOCUMENTATION!!

> Basically, I would like to stop the standby - knowing that the production
 server
> is dead- and restart it in read/write mode.
>
> I believe I have to create a new set of control files for the standby.

Only when you first create it (hence the 'create standby controlfile' command). I'll only say this one more time: to turn your standby database into a fully fledged production system when the original production system has died, you issue the command 'alter database activate standby database'.

Honestly. If there's one thing worse than discovering someone hasn't read the documentation, it's being corrected or ignored when you post an answer straight *out* of that documentation!

HJR